ADVERTISEMENT

Morning Drive interview

dusty

Warhawk Elite
Staff
Sep 17, 2007
Néw Head Coach Terry Bowden was on this morning with Aaron Detrick on the Morning Drive.

why getting back into coaching - it’s what I love to do; I’m not finished coaching. It’s a passion and desire. We turned around a lot of programs and want to do it again. The time off really gave me a second life.

Clemson time - going back to school. - analysts, you help the staff and there are unlimited numbers. It’s a way to get coaches back into the market. Clemson was the right place for me to study again. Studied the coach and the meetings; showed me how to do things better.

ULM job on his radar - reference to the 1996 game which NLU led late. ULM approached him in Akron after bowl win, just couldn’t make finances workout for assistants. Was sold on the job though. It just seemed like the right time. I’ve taken over programs at all levels that were not successful and turned them around.

I got a chip on my shoulder that I want to leave this program in great shape.

What’s going on now? - staff and player meetings. Recruit our guys out of the portal and recruit a staff. Know what you want and go after it; but be patient for the right fit not just hire to hire. Working to get right group-of coaches and support staff. Working to get buy in from everyone - staff, students, administrators, fans and lettermen.

Staff - now ready to mention names. Week or so to name names. Great response though. I don’t want to hire my friends; I want the right fit on the right price. I want the right mix of maturity and coaching. Want young and enthusiasm. Coaches used to winning and apart of successful programs.

Finances - I’m in a position to hire the right people. Story about Rex Ryan coaching against him at Sanford vs Moorehead St.

Roster - plans for the remaining slots. Got to look at the portal, high school, juco and so on. Already looking at portal heavy this year with the extra year of eligibility. Will honor signees but need to reevaluate them.

Clemson doesn’t take juco or transfers to raise freshmen the right way and be vested in the program.

Portal guy discussions - I’ve already reached out and started recruiting them to come back. They don’t have to go elsewhere- clean slate for everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News