ADVERTISEMENT

My Amendment to the Transfer System

djpaul319

General
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2013
The current transfer portal system is out of balance and something needs to be done. I semi-understand that before the current system, the coaches & programs had the power imbalance and hey, "If the coaches can bail out on the players they recruit by leaving, why can't the players?" But now the imbalance is skewed toward the players and there needs to be some more restrictions to bring more of a true balance.

Right now, it's impossible for coaches & programs to build any continuity. While some players may have very legitimate reasons for leaving such as broken promises, unfair treatment, etc, there are a lot of players hopping in and out after a season or two and for reasons no more than not being gifted playing time. Signing day means nothing now.

Here are my proposed changes to create more balance. Curious to hear your thoughts.

1. If the head coach that signs a player leaves or gets fired, then the player may instant transfer, regardless of classification. That instant transfer is available until the end of the following athletic season (they can try a year with the new coaching staff and then make a decision if they'd like). It may only be used once.

2. A 3 year eligibility minimum before a player can instant transfer across or up divisions (just like the 3 year minimum before declaring for the draft)

3. The two above cannot be double-dipped, and a player that does one of the above previously is no longer eligible for grad transfer privileges

4. Walk-ons are exempt from transfer restrictions (they may have already been but just want to make that part clear)

5. Your opinion: should there be a penalty for dipping in the portal then coming back?

This way, you're granting the fairness of "if my coach goes, then I can go...but if he stays, then my commitment weighs just as much as his commitment". Now if after 3 years in the program it's just totally not what you expected as a player--an ample amount of time to evaluate things--then by all means explore your options and have up to two years of eligibility remaining.

Signing day and transfer portal decisions would mean more again.

Reactions: sportwarhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News