ADVERTISEMENT

Grading the ULM 2016 Football Signing Class

bluephi1914

Warhawk Elite
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2012
It is quite slow around here, so I wanted to see if we could find something to debate/discuss. I recently watched a YouTube video that did a recap of the 2017 NFL Draft and graded those players who were deemed solid hits and those who were deemed bust. Well, I wanted to do something similar with our signing classes of the past. I will not label any of them as bust, but I will grade them on a standard academic grade scale with an A going to any player who at least made an All-Conference team and an F to a kid who just did not pan out or did not show up onto campus. I am starting with the 2016 signing class. This is not a knock against any player personally. I am just doing what scouts do, judging the play and performance.

According to Rivals, this is our 2016 signing class. We signed these kids after a coaching change, that brought Coach Viator to ULM. Overall, looking back, this class gets a solid B+ grade. The only reason why it is not an A is due to the fact that this class has not made a bowl game, yet.

T.J. Fiailoa OL – Grade A – Solid OL, quality starter for us. Would have been an all-league player if not for his injury.

Ty Shelby DE – Grade C - Came into his own in 2019 and got significant playing time. Projects as a starter in 2020, but his numbers need to improve.

Caleb Evans QB - Grade A – Very productive FBS career. Should have went to a bowl game and beaten FSU, a P5 opponent, but the staff took the ball out of his hands and went for the tie instead of the win. We all know how that ended. In the end, he won games, kept us in games, and all opponents had to game plan for the intangibles he brought to the table. Will be a ULM Athletics HOF member.

Brandius Batiste WR – Grade C- - Was supposed to have a standout 2019 season, but was limited in 2019. So far, has not been able to show what he can do on the field.

Kayin White RB – Grade B- - Has had some good performances. Was injured some in 2019, but came back and looked solid.

Mason Husmann DE – Grade C+ – Has been a workhorse along the DLine. Not the most athletic, but uses his size and strength to hold his own on the DLine. Not a big stats guy, but he is a hard worker.

Tyler Lamm TE – Grade B- – Has shown the potential to be a solid TE. Definitely developed in the weight room. Solid blocker.

Josh Pederson TE – Grade A – Potential NFL prospect. Has not had a huge statistical season, but has shown the ability to be a featured player on the offense.

Kerry Starks DE - Grade B- - I want to rate him higher, but his talents have been squandered. He is a LB, but we play him out of position. Scheme him right, his numbers would be higher. But, I have to grade him on what he is bringing to the team on the field and so far that is a B-.

Thomas Koufie RB – Grade F – Had some flash and then left due to a crowded backfield.

Kyle Nevels LB – Grade F – Did he even make it to campus?

Howard Houston DT – Grade F – Limited play, limited production. Was smaller than his listed size at signing.

Duke Carter RB – Grade F – Casualty of loaded backfield. Seems to have left after the 2017 season.

Samuel Williams OL – Grade C- – Kind of a harsh grade, especially due to his being stuck behind some guys who had more experience and were just better. He saw some action in 2019, but at times was beat. Projects as a challenger to start in 2020. That performance can prove this grade to be wrong or right.

Noah Ramsey OL – Grade F – Left after the 2017 season.

Logan Latin DB – Grade C - Dealt with injuries some, but has been a player who the staff depends upon in the 2-deep. Not highly productive, but you know what you are getting when he is on the field.

Terry Ausborne DB – Grade F – Didn’t stick around past 2016.

Jayrin Wilson DB – Grade F – Did he make it to campus?

Last edited:
Reactions: dusty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News